[Beowulf] power usage, Intel 5160 vs. AMD 2216

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Fri Jul 13 10:19:43 PDT 2007

On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 08:48:02AM -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> Anyway, if a DIMM draws and average power of (say) 10W and is expected
> to be on for 3 years, that means it costs roughly $30 over its lifetime.

A few years ago we were trying to estimate power consumption by
DIIMMs, and found that the measured number was much lower. Apparently
they aren't all "on" all the time. So you can't estimate it the way
you're all doing it.

FBDIMMs seem to be "on" quite a bit more.

I'd love for someone to whip out a kill-a-watt and start comparing the
same machine at different dimm counts.

-- greg