[Beowulf] SGI to offer Windows on clusters

Michael Will mwill at penguincomputing.com
Mon Apr 16 09:18:50 PDT 2007

<disclaimer>
I work for Penguin and it's my job to sell Scyld, however the following
also represents my personal
opinion.
</disclaimer>

The issue you mentioned below is why I love the light weight compute
node concept of Scyld,
which installs on top of redhat enterprise 4.

While it does still install everything that redhat 4 would install on
the headnode that you interact with,
the compute nodes will not get any of that.

The compute nodes just boot precisely what is needed, the kernel, the
modules for the hardware detected,
and only when an app is migrated out at runtime it will pull over
additional required libraries, caching
them for next time. It boots directly into RAM (no nfs-root overhead). I
just ran 'free' on a compute node
of one of our demo clusters that has been up for several months and it
still only uses 140MB of it's 2G -
the only process running on it currently is portmap since it has /home
nfs-mounted.

The downside is that you have to configure the environment for specific
applications that expect everything
to be there, i.e. if they do system("/usr/bin/perl") and runtime and
what-not, that is when you start giving up some
of the pure principle and solve it by i.e. mounting /usr via NFS or
predeploying out stuff.

Michael Will
SE Technical Lead
Penguin Computing Inc.