[Beowulf] What can a HS student do with a small Beowulf?

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu May 25 04:23:04 PDT 2006

At 08:07 PM 5/24/2006, sNAAPS eLYK wrote:
>Hmm, I'm new with mailing lists as well... I believe I've been mostly
>replying to inviduals and not to the list...
>Anyhow:
>
>Again, thanks to everyone for the replies.
>To clarify, [and maybe restate?] I'm going to uWaterloo for Honours B.Sc.
>in Physics. Computers are just a passionate hobby that I got into when I
>was young. So much so, I'd like to major in quantum computing, perhaps get
>into R&D and "making"[not entirely sure what that entails just yet...] new
>kinds of computers/architechtures...
>
>So what I get so far is:
>->forget about the beowulf for now until I've got a clear focus, and
>concentrate more on building my coding and linux skillz [pardon the
>vernacular, but as an avid teen gamer I felt it was appropriate]. I've got
>a bunch of computer's that aren't good enough for LAN'ing today's games
>with my friends, so why not change my lamo Windows home network into a
>crafty Linux one? Right? [For all intentents and purposes, in the scope of
>this converasation, BSD=Linux, n'est-ce pas?]

Why not make a Beowulf cluster? The process of just getting the cluster up
and going and even running a trivial application would be a good exercise
in getting your Linux skills going.

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075