[Beowulf] /etc/security/limits.conf and Torque jobs

Bill Wichser bill at Princeton.EDU
Wed May 17 13:15:18 PDT 2006

Kernel 2.6.9-34.ELsmp under a RH distro, DIY version

Running into a problem where I need to increase the max locked memory
environment variable, typically done by adding a soft and hard value to
the /etc/security/limits.conf file.  And so I add the lines:

*   soft  memlock 1024
*   hard  memlock 8192

When I ssh into the node, do a "ulimit -l" I find that my value has
indeed changed, from 32 to 1024.  I can increase it to the full amount.
  All is good.

So I submit a job, through Torque, and I simply execute a "ulimit -l"
only to find that my limit is set to the original value, 32.  Using a
qsub -I to get onto a node, sure enough, I find that this value cannot
even be changed.

It appears that whoever/whatever checks this file, that it is not doing
this under Torque's covers.  Maybe there is some other place that I
should be setting these limits?

Thanks,
Bill