[Beowulf] Infiniband - Is there a HowTO?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sun May 14 08:34:26 PDT 2006

Hi Bill

Bill Wichser wrote:
> I have recently acquired some IB adapters and an IB switch.  My kernel
> is 2.6.9-34.ELsmp and has a directory for infiniband under
> kernel/drivers in /lib/modules.  No modules get loaded by default at
> boot time though.
>
> I can see the IB detected with lspci yet dmesg shows nothing.
>
> 03:07.0 PCI bridge: Mellanox Technologies MT23108 PCI Bridge (rev a1)
> 04:00.0 InfiniBand: Mellanox Technologies MT23108 InfiniHost (rev a1)
>

> I'm just wondering how to proceed.  I imagine that I'll need to load
> some modules and configure the interface with ifconfig.  Load up the
> OpenIB RPM and build my OpenMPI libs.

Easiest way would be to use the Mellanox IBG2
(http://www.mellanox.com/products/ibg2.php you have to register to
download) set to build the RPMs/drivers for your kernel.  I did this
recently for a different Mellanox card.  Once this is done, and you have
configured your /etc/modprobe.conf, you might need to modprobe ib_mthca,
then modprobe your ib0 interface, and run depmod -a.

> I just can't seem to find some HowTo to make sure I get it all correct.
>  What modules to load, when.  That sort of thing.  If anyone could
> provide me with some pointers at least I can get started on getting
> something configured and tested.

The install script from the Mellanox tarball automates most of this.  A
little hand editing as I indicated above, but it is mostly painless
(good job Mellanox!)

Joe