[Beowulf] split traffic to two interfaces for two "subnets"

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Thu May 11 08:17:04 PDT 2006

On Thu, 11 May 2006 at 11:03am, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote

> Hi Sean,
>
> On Thu, 11 May 2006, Sean Dilda wrote:
>>> 10.0.0.16/28 goes through eth1
>>> the rest 10.0.0.0/24 can go through eth0 (as before)
>> Instead of trying to put certain nodes on eth0 and certain nodes on eth1, have you considered bonding eth0 and
>> eth1 together and letting traffic be spread across them like that?  It should automatically balance traffic for
>> you.
> Please please please correct me if I am wrong but I thought that bonding
> is done between targets, ie all the nodes has to have bonded interfaces
> to take advantage of bonding?

Nope.

> or I can just bond 2 interfaces on the server and leave the rest of the
> nodes connected with 1 interface to the switch?

Yep.  I'm doing this with my cluster -- the fileservers have a 2-port
bonded interface to the switch, and all the nodes have just 1 connection.
I did some quick testing and found that, for me, mode 0 bonding
(balance-rr) worked better than mode 4 (802.3ad).

> I have trunking (which is I believe is the same as bonding) option
> in my DGS-1248T... may be I should RTFM for the beast...

Trunking is the same as mode 0 bonding.  I just defined 3 trunk groups
(one for each of my fileservers), with each trunk group having 2 member
ports.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering