[Beowulf] split traffic to two interfaces for two "subnets"

Yaroslav Halchenko list-beowulf at onerussian.com
Thu May 11 08:03:27 PDT 2006

Hi Sean,

On Thu, 11 May 2006, Sean Dilda wrote:
> >10.0.0.16/28 goes through eth1
> >the rest 10.0.0.0/24 can go through eth0 (as before)
> Instead of trying to put certain nodes on eth0 and certain nodes on eth1, have you considered bonding eth0 and
> eth1 together and letting traffic be spread across them like that?  It should automatically balance traffic for
> you.
Please please please correct me if I am wrong but I thought that bonding
is done between targets, ie all the nodes has to have bonded interfaces
to take advantage of bonding?

or I can just bond 2 interfaces on the server and leave the rest of the
nodes connected with 1 interface to the switch?

I have trunking (which is I believe is the same as bonding) option
in my DGS-1248T... may be I should RTFM for the beast...

Sure if I can bond only servers interfaces together and switch splits
bonded traffic appropriate between the targets, I should not bother with
all that mess I was describing...

> Plus, if an ethernet port or cable does on the storage server when the ports are bonded, all your nodes can
> still get to NFS.
I am not sure what you were trying to say ;-) may be "s/does/fails/"?

--
                                  .-.
                   Linux User    ^^-^^    [175555]