[Beowulf] request for comments for NFS v.3 vs NFS v.4

Ted Sariyski tsariysk at craft-tech.com
Thu Apr 13 04:24:34 PDT 2006

Hi,
I used to follow discussions in this group closely but lately I was distracted
from other issues. I used to think that as a rule NFS require carefull
tuning.  Now I've been said that NFS v.4 takes care of most of the issues
that v.2 and v.3 have and it is mounted with its defaults. The problem is
that under load I see issues (like stalled file system) that I used to
associate with NFS (and I'm talking about a small clusters, say 30-50 nodes).
I checked the mpich home page and found the same old warnings that nfs must
be carefully tuned and found nothing specific for NFS v.4. Could somebody
comment on how much tuning NFS v.4 reqiere compared with NFS v.3, please?

Thanks in advance,
Ted