[Beowulf] can't use both processors on each node

Shihnan Chen schen at hpl.umces.edu
Wed Apr 12 17:35:47 PDT 2006

hi all,
  we have a microway 10-node cluster (2 processors on each node) with
OpenPBS and MAUI scheduler installed. I can  submit a MPI job through
qsub but encountered some strange problems. Would somebody kindly give
me some hints. Thanks

1. I can only use 1 cpu on 1 node when submitting a job.

   I tried the following in my script but failed.
   #PBS -l nodes=2:ppn=2
   mpirun -np 4 ./oceanM

I attach the /var/spool/pbs/server_priv/nodes and "pbsnodes -a" below.
Is the configuaration correct (np=2) ?

2. Every time we submit a job, the master node will be used, which
should not happen.

Here is the output of /var/spool/pbs/server_priv/nodes

node2 np=2
node3 np=2
node4 np=2
node5 np=2