[Beowulf] SC05 blogs and observations

Douglas Eadline deadline at clustermonkey.net
Tue Nov 22 11:53:26 PST 2005

> Doug,
>
> I read the article. Just wanted to point out that there were indeed
> clusters running the Windows HPC edition in Microsoft's booth. I don't
> know how you missed them, but I at least know of the Dell cluster and a
> Verari cluster (I work for Verari) in their booth. We had a Landmark
> graphics demo running on the Verari cluster with the Windows HPC edition
> server and Silverstorm IB stack. Wolfram research had a demo going on a
> Dell rack. Anyway, not that this proves any point, but I thought you
> might want to amend your article since you made a strong argument about
> Microsoft not showcasing a single cluster in their booth :)

I'll added a note to help clarify the text. But, what I was trying to say
was that I would have put a "big" cluster out where people could see it --
like everyone else does at SC. Not that a big cluster means a whole lot,
but I guess what I was looking for was kind of a statement from MS.

> Regarding .NET, I don't think the compute cluster solution emphasizes
> using .NET for your applications. In fact, .NET is not even a
> requirement to do anything significant as far as Windows compute
> clusters go. It's just a tool to write both intranet based distributed
> applications as well as Web services (among other traditional
> Windows-centric applications). There is no specific .NET attachment to
> the HPC edition of Windows. They probably do use .NET for some of their
> tools like the job scheduler, but it doesn't prevent users from running
> traditional Windows applications using these tools, AFAIK.

I had heard from some of the people at CTC that .NET was going to be very
useful with clusters. I think it can work for some applications, but of
course not all.

Thanks for your feedback.

--
Doug

> Thanks,
> Srihari
>
> --
> Srihari Angaluri
> Senior Software Engineer
> Verari Systems Software, Inc.
> Phone +1-603-305-7247
> http://www.verarisoft.com
>
> Douglas Eadline wrote:
>> I also just posted an opinion piece about the Bill Gates keynote and the
>> whole Microsoft HPC thing.
>>
>> http://www.clustermonkey.net//content/view/78/33/
>>
>> Enjoy
>>
>> --
>> Doug
>>

>>>For those that did not attend SC05 (or those who did), Jeff Layton and I
>>>have put together a blog page with some observations and announcements:
>>>
>>>  http://www.clustermonkey.net//content/view/74/40/
>>>
>>>We will be adding to it over the next couple of days (now that I am
>>>partially recovered from last week).
>>>
>>>Also, Joe Landman has his blog at http://scalability.org/
>>>
>>>Enjoy.
>>>
>>>--