[Beowulf] 1. Re: Jury rigged ethernet? (Robert G. Brown, et al)

Ed Karns edkarns at firewirestuff.com
Tue Jun 28 12:50:02 PDT 2005

Again, I would suggest simply trying the CAT3/5 wiring and get as many
"clean" pairs as possible into use and/or as redundant circuits, and
ignore what your impedance meters may tell you. Four (two twisted
pairs) would do the trick and you get decent performance, maybe even
100baseT levels. The theoreticians and white paper writers usually
don't take into account the irregularities of the real world. Truly it
is almost impossible to accurately predict the real impedance of a
cable set that is "dark". Modern impedance matching techniques built
into modern ethernet circuits and chip sets can sometimes handle a very
broad range of impedance mismatches once the wires are "heated up".

Try it ... test the available wiring with a couple of laptops.
Interestingly, the use of "mismatched" or "off brand" ethernet adapters
(PCI or PCMCIA cards) will sometimes work better than the name brand
originals, which are often manufactured with "tighter" specs. than the
no name clones.

" ... Honestly, I don't think that a 30 foot run (ten meters, barely
longer than their five meter limit in toto) will be too much of a
problem, although one might have to experiment a bit and get very clean
connections to the terminators on both ends. ..."

... hear, hear ... (As mentioned off line, I have seen coat hangers
work in a pinch.)

Ed Karns
FireWireStuff.com

On Tuesday, June 28, 2005, at 12:00  PM, beowulf-request at beowulf.org
wrote:

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: Jury rigged ethernet? (Robert G. Brown)

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:52:19 -0400
> From: "Robert G. Brown" <rgb at phy.duke.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Beowulf] Jury rigged ethernet?
> To: Ed Karns <edkarns at firewirestuff.com>
> Cc: beowulf at beowulf.org
>
> Ed Karns writes:
>
>> ... below ...
>>

>> On Monday, June 27, 2005, at 10:22  AM, Reuti wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> point to mention is the most likely unknown wave resistance of the
>>> existing wires. You have
>>>
>>> 150 Ohm for IBM Type 1 .... possible to use.
>>> 100 (sometimes 105?) Ohm for CAT3/5 twisted pair ... The best
>>> candidates ... if you have enough pairs between this cabling and