[Beowulf] mixing MPI with other libraries...

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 27 10:55:24 PDT 2005

At 08:57 AM 6/27/2005 +0100, John Hearns wrote:
>On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 04:30 +0100, Cheng, Kevin wrote:
>>
>> Thanks guys for your help. I managed to get passwordless rsh & ssh to
>> work. I upgraded to mpich2 as I got more familiar with mpich1 and
>> mpich2 is running fine.
>>
>> Just curious questions:
>>
>> 1. If one had an existing project, say a GTK or QT application with
>> Makefile and everything. If one wanted to incorporate MPI into this
>> project, one would just replace (in the Makefile) the 'GCC = gcc' to
>> 'GCC = mpicc', 'GXX = g++' to 'GXX = mpicxx', and also maybe include
>> some MPI lib paths to the INCPATHs? Is this how one can convert normal
>> projects into projects incorporating MPI calls?
>This isn't a direct answer to your question,
>but if you have an OpenGL application you can run it on a cluster using
>Chromium  http://chromium.sourceforge.net
>

>My suspicion is that 2D graphics such as GTK/QT things are probably
>faster run on a single processor, with an optimising compiler,
>using the on-chip MMX/SSE type register banks

Actually multiprocessing is another option. Make a graphical application,
in windows or so (goes quickly sometimes), and just open a socket to
connect to a linux beowulf cluster that runs the required calculating
software.

That's exactly what i do with Diep currently. Diep3D interface is open-gl
by the way and can't get compiled in linux. A side effect of this approach
is that the chess engine runs far faster in linux as there is 0 overhead to
X nor any other application. This allows brilliant cooperation also between
an interface and a remote machine, countries away.

Vincent