[Beowulf] Re: number of admins (David Kewley)

Ed Karns edkarns at firewirestuff.com
Wed Jun 8 08:59:06 PDT 2005

On Wednesday, June 8, 2005, at 08:20  AM, beowulf-request at beowulf.org
wrote:

" ... ~1000 Dell PE1850 dual CPU compute nodes ... master & other
auxiliary nodes on similar hardware ... 1024-port Myrinet
... etc, etc. ... The users will be something like: ~10 local academic
groups, perhaps 60 users total ... at least one near-real-time
application with public exposure ... We have some experience already
with a 160-node Dell cluster ..."

> * If we only have one sysadmin, someone who is bright and capable, but
> is learning as they go, is that too small a support staff?
> * If one such sysadmin is too little, then what would you expect the
> impact on the users to be? ...

My guess is you have the answer on a per shift bases: One bright admin
per shift. I would bet you will also get plenty of help from the user
base, existing and future. As you already know, the volunteers from
your users may be your best pool of advanced technical help and future
worker bees.

One good lead technician can solve a world of problems. Several
uninformed or uninterested technicians may never get anything done and
downtime may suffer.

Budget for three or four spots and give most of it to that two really
good techies ...

Ed Karns
FireWireStuff.com