[Beowulf] G5 beowulf cluster

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Tue Feb 8 10:51:25 PST 2005

The Mac OS X server OS that came with your Xserve G5s is quite good and
you'll find all the developer tools, compilers, cluster scheduler
systems like Grid Engine or LSF are all working and well supported. The
scientific community of G5/Xserve users is growing quite rapidly.

If you are familiar with Linux the learning curve for OS X is not all
that bad.

http://www.apple.com/science/  -- may help
http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/ -- also

You may want to make the OS decision based on what physics apps you need
to run and how *they* are supported on OS X vs Linux. I can't help you
there as I'm a life sciences / biology person.

In our lab we've installed both Gentoo Linux as well as Yellow Dog on
Xserve G5s. Both seemed to install and run smoothly but for production
clustering work we still use the OS X Server OS.

-Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag at sonsorol.org>
BioTeam  - Independent life science IT & informatics consulting