[Beowulf] Use and stabilily of Lustre in cluster context ...

Richard Walsh rbw at ahpcrc.org
Mon Dec 19 07:41:13 PST 2005

All,

Can I get anecdotal comments on the prevalence of Lustre use on
mid-sized clusters?
Are people satisfied with its stability overall or are there particular
problem issues
to report?  What version are people running with what kernel?

I ask because we are running Lustre and are experiencing stability
problems the result
in system crashes during periods of intense small to moderate size file
activity in spaces
that already have alot of files (kernel compiles, Amanda driven backups
of directories
with large numbers of small files, applications which have bursts of
intense file creation
activity like swarms of DNA sequence analysis work).  These problems are
intermittent
and the idea that it is solely a Lustre problem is not certain.

We are running version 1.2 on a older 2.4.21 kernel ... perhaps this is
problem.

Knowing what the general experiences with it are would be useful.

Regards,

rbw

--

Richard B. Walsh

Project Manager
Network Computing Services, Inc.
Army High Performance Computing Research Center (AHPCRC)
rbw at ahpcrc.org  |  612.337.3467

This message (including any attachments) may contain proprietary or
privileged information, the use and disclosure of which is legally
restricted.  If you have received this message in error please notify
the sender by reply message, do not otherwise distribute it, and delete
this message, with all of its contents, from your files.