[Beowulf] Carpet glue and live clusters?

David Mathog mathog at mendel.bio.caltech.edu
Mon Aug 29 09:02:09 PDT 2005

The classroom next to my current machine room is going to be
carpeted soon via the laying down of adhesive followed by the
placement of carpet squares.  Unfortunately this classroom shares the
same A/C as the machine room so the fumes will circulate through
the computers located there.  And no place else, it's just these
two rooms on that A/C unit.

I'm thinking  when the day comes I'll shut down the computers
and the A/C as well.  Then the only fumes that would reach
the machine room would be those that diffused through the
inactive ducts between the two rooms.  When that low level
of fumes enters the computers they will find only cold
surfaces, and so who-knows-what chemistry that might take
place on surfaces with temps >60C will be avoided.
Also with the A/C and computers off there's no risk of a spark.

Am I being too conservative?  Seems to me like a case of better
safe than sorry but I've heard one local opinion that there's
nothing to worry about.

Thanks,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu