[Beowulf] channel bonding

Andrew Piskorski atp at piskorski.com
Sun Aug 7 09:40:56 PDT 2005

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 12:12:29PM -0400, Tim Mattox wrote:

> The latest version of the bonding documentation is here:
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=24692&package_id=146474
>
> You should look particularly at section 13 "Configuring Bonding for
> Maximum Throughput" in the latest version as of July 2005.

The current latest is from 21 June 2005:
  http://unc.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/bonding/bonding.txt

That's the stock channel bonding shipped witht the kernel.  I vaguely
remember reading (probably a year or more ago) that its maximum
througput is achieved with 2 gigabit cards - adding a 3rd card
actually decreases througput.  (Is this still true?)

Also, that there's a different implementation somewhere, not shipped
with the kernel, which is both faster with two cards, and allows
further bandwith increase by adding a 3rd bonded gigabit ethernet
card.  Unfortunately, I can't remember what that project is called,
nor where I read about it.  Does anyone else remember?

--
Andrew Piskorski <atp at piskorski.com>
http://www.piskorski.com/