[Beowulf] PVFS on 80 proc (40 node) cluster

Brian Smith brian at cypher.acomp.usf.edu
Sun Oct 31 19:14:44 PST 2004

Jeff,

You should definitely consider PVFS or any other parallel filesystem
over NFS mounting for concurrent scratch space.  I read your
requirements from another post and the number of writes, etc, and those
writes would likely flood even the most respectable file server.

PVFS2 has much improved fault tolerance over PVFS1 in that there can be
redundant file nodes where as with PVFS1, if one node dropped dead, your
FS was toast.

If you go to their web site, there should be plenty of documentation on
how to set it up.  You may also want to consider investigating GFS from
Red Hat and Luster.

Brian Smith