[Beowulf] Grid Engine question

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Tue Oct 12 07:42:30 PDT 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Mark Westwood wrote:

> Hi All
>
> We use the open source Grid Engine, Enterprise Edition v5.3, here to
> manage job submission to our 70 processor Beowulf.  I'm rather new to
> managing Grid Engine and my users have me baffled with a question of
> priorities.
Mark,
you would be better off asking this on the Gridengine mailing list.

And if you don't mind me being a little forward, Gridengine version 6.0u1
is now available.

> The scenario is this:
>
> - suppose that there is a job running on 40 processors, leaving 30 free;
> - a high priority job, requesting 64 processors, is submitted;
> - a low priority, but long, job, requesting 24 processors is submitted.
>
> Currently, with our configuration, the low priority job would be run
> immediately, since there are more than 24 processors available.
> However, my users want to hold that job until the high priority job has run.
>
> Can we configure Grid Engine so that the low priority job is not started
> until after the high priority job, even though there are resources
> available for the low priority job when it is submitted ?

I'm not sure of the exact answer here.
But SGE 6 does have advance reservations - so a hold could be put on
processors till 64 become free.