[Beowulf] 64bit comparisons

Laurence Liew laurence at scalablesystems.com
Fri Oct 8 18:20:02 PDT 2004

Hi Jonathan

1) But 1 or 2 nodes of each platform and test with your apps to see
- do they work on G5/Linux or G5/Mac OS
- which gives best price/performance

2) MPI
- depends on your budget for the interconnect
- Quadrics, Myrinet, Infiniband are all candidates
- your performance requirements and budget will determine which one
suits best

3) IO
- notice you did not mention anything about IO
- spend some time thinking about IO
- depending on your needs you may need a parallel filesystem or a simple NAS

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Laurence