[Beowulf] raw results

050675 at student.unife.it 050675 at student.unife.it
Fri Oct 1 00:59:25 PDT 2004

Hi all,
   someone in this list (Robert J. Brown, probably), a few months ago
asked me to post one or twice a month if I had interesting results with
raw ethernet on which I'm making my first level degree.
Now I've some interesting results: packets loss have been decreased (even
if under 300 bytes payload I experience so many loss, but probably the
problem is in the used 32 bits architecture or in the fact that I use a
2.4.x kernel without NAPI, for the moment).
For any other payload value (in a range between 300 and 1500 bytes) I've
no losses, even with jumbo frames (achieved throughput 111 MB/sec in a
point-to-point connection with Gbit ethernet cards).
I've also experienced NAPI, but with a kernel 2.4, not 2.6 (next goal).
Thank you for your attention and help in these months.

Simone Saravalli