Back-UPS garbage? (was: Quick survey -- UPSs on slave nodes?)

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu Feb 13 20:03:14 PST 2003

If you want a more relevant anecdote for clusters, in our machines room,
we have three upses... the new one which replaced an excide 25kva unit is
an MGE COMET 65kva unit, the other two are an apc symmetra 12Kva unit with
a secondary battery cabinet and an apc matrix 5000va with 3 xr battery
packs packs... During the outage scheduled to replace the exide with the
comet, the symmetra and the matrix were disconconnected from mains and
generator power for 109 minutes at 75% and 60% load respectivly, when serv
ice was resumed the symmetra was as 8% battery remaining and the matrix
was at 15%. the means out crictical network services remained up through a
nearly 2 hour outage as per our design spec. together the symmetra and the
matrix have nearly 3000 pounds of lead acid gel-cels which is slightly
larger than your average desktop ups.