Quick survey -- UPSs on slave nodes?

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 10 14:41:51 PST 2003

Greg Lindahl wrote:

>On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 11:24:07AM -0800, Nicholas Webb wrote:
>

>>At the University of Idaho we are preparing to order a new beowulf cluster
>>and a vendor seemed to be shocked that we wanted UPSs attached to ALL of
>>the nodes.
>>

>Most clusters I've worked on have had UPSes on all of the nodes. Among other
>reasons, it's an easy way to make sure your power is clean.
>
>greg

Greg has a point. However, for us, we would rather have more
nodes than UPSes. We problems that UPSes might not solve
(like maintenance guys who flick power switches on the main
panel or people who unplug power cords - UPSes don't help
too much in those cases :)

So far with a total of somewhere near 700 nodes in various
cluster, for about 2+ years, we haven't had any problems.

Jeff