Creating user accounts....

Srihari Angaluri srihari at mpi-softtech.com
Thu Feb 13 15:00:55 PST 2003

Is there any serious performance/scalability issue to using NIS, as
opposed to copying the individual files to each and every node on the
cluster? Is this even a desirable option for large clusters, for
example? What if I need to add more accounts? I have to copy the files
all over again, right? Of course I can write scripts to automate the
whole process, but why not maintain a central user account database
using NIS? Can someone please elaborate on what the side effects are to
using NIS?

Srihari