networking options

Daniel Kidger Daniel.Kidger at quadrics.com
Wed Sep 25 11:04:07 PDT 2002

Dear all,
   The beowulf list is not the place for a sales pitch, but I though I
should update the list a bit.

>       Technology		~Best Case Bandwidth	~Hardware Latency

>    7. Quadrics**      		~300 Mbytes/sec		~4-5
usecs
>    ** Quadrics claims 700 Mbytes/sec in 2003 (dual rail?)

Quadrics runs at 400MB/s line speed and give around 330-350 MB/s sustained
bandwidth to say MPI per 'rail' (i.e. per elan NIC) . Several sites already
have Dual rail systems. It gives almost twice this figure. The next product
line is due out in 2003 and will be PCI-X based. Its performance is not yet
public, (but will as a minimum exceed the bandwidth of PCI-X).

Latency is as given and is pretty much constant. It only rises to about 7
usecs for 1024 node system.

Daniel.
(apologies if this sounded too much like a sales pitch)

Dr. Dan Kidger, Quadrics Ltd.      daniel.kidger at quadrics.com
One Bridewell St., Bristol, BS1 2AA, UK         0117 915 5505