thermal kill switch

Andre Lehovich andrel at U.Arizona.EDU
Tue Oct 22 18:02:16 PDT 2002

We had the air-conditioning fail yesterday.  Caught it in
time to shut down by hand, but we won't be so lucky next
time.  RGB's book recommends a thermal kill switch, but
doesn't give details on implementation.  One obvious idea is
to have a daemon monitor lm-sensors and shutdown each node
as it gets too hot.  This is easy and cheap.

But, is there anything better?  We have not yet had the
electric and cooling contractors refit our server room.  Is
there anything we should have them install during the
rewiring?  What are the pros/cons of a room-wide kill switch
vs. the lm-sensors approach?

Thanks,
--Andre