PORTLAND COMPILERS

Ivan Oleynik oleynik at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Fri Jun 14 09:46:10 PDT 2002

I have some questions about licensing of PGI compilers. If you look at
Portland website, there are several bundles of compilers such as PGI
Workstation and PGI CDK Cluster Development Kit. They differ dramatically
in terms of the price. In particular, PGI CDK Cluster Development Kit
comes with 2/5/10/25/50 users and 16/64/256 CPUs ranging from $2,000 to
$10,000 (for academics).

I would like to know what does number of CPU's mean: is it something that
will limit number of MPI processes during execution of binary generated by
PGI compiler? How does it practically work? Is it implemented via
something like Flex LM License Manager? For example, if I have 24 node
cluster, does it mean that I need to buy at least 64 processor license if
I want to utilize all the processors?

Thanks,

Ivan

Ivan I. Oleynik                       E-mail : oleynik at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Department of Physics
University of South Florida
4202 East Fowler Avenue                  Tel : (813) 974-8186
Tampa, Florida 33620-5700                Fax : (813) 974-5813