CCL:Largest Linux Cluster? (fwd)

Craig Tierney ctierney at hpti.com
Thu Jan 24 10:55:06 PST 2002

Saying that 'they use no local disk, opting for a huge disk farm' is
not exactly correct.  All nodes are diskless, and they do have a huge disk
farm.  The san is for data storage, user codes, etc.  The nodes are diskless
because they need to be able to switch parts the machine from classified to
non-classified depending on the situation.  They cannot have any storage locally
to accomplish this.  It doesn't take much disk to boot 1000 nodes remotely.
All common files are shared, and only some system specific things such as /etc
are generated unique to each node.  I think (not positive) that /var and /tmp
may be small ram disks, but I don't remember exactly.

Does hdparm work with SCSI?  Does it really accomplish much?  I didn't think
it did.  They SAN is scsi, so I don't think they are running hdparm to optimize it.

Craig

Craig Tierney (ctierney at hpti.com)