CCL:Largest Linux Cluster? (fwd)

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu Jan 24 10:49:16 PST 2002

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 alvin at Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com wrote:

> hi art
>
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Art Edwards wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 05:55:24PM +0100, Eugene Leitl wrote:

> > > Can anyone tell me what is currently the largest linux-based workstation
> > > cluster that has been successfully deployed and is being used for
> > > computational chemistry studies?  (largest = number of nodes regardless of
> > > the speed of each node).
> > >
> > Sandia National Laboratories has C-Plant that runs Linux in addition to several
> > layers of home-grown OS on several thousand nodes. The basic node is a DEC
> > ev6 with myranet (sp). They use no local disk, opting for a huge disk farm.

cplant info is here:

http://www.cs.sandia.gov/cplant/

the high-level summary would something like:

myranet connected nodes in cabinets... cabinets internected with myranete.
disk storage nodes with raid5 arrays with their own myranet switch and
then cabinet level interconnects.

and unrelated observation whould be that:

dual hosted scsi systems have largely if note entirely been suplanted by
fibre-channel.