What's the different between "MPP" and "constellation" ?

Yung-Sheng Tang beowulf at hoolan.org
Sat Dec 14 16:34:31 PST 2002

First, I am sorry this is somewhat off-topic. I was reading TOP500
stuffs then, and found two classifications of "MPP" and "constellation".
What's the difference between these two categories? Actually, there is a
SGI Origin 2000 in my office. According to the TOP500 database, it
belongs to Constellation; On the other hand, IBM pSeries 690 is a
typical MPP. But to me, their architectures seem to be quite similar.
Thanks for any response to my stupid question.

Tang