Tyan Tiger 2460

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Thu Apr 25 10:47:58 PDT 2002

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002 at 12:18pm, Velocet wrote

> We got back a 2466 from RMA that was somehow fried. New replacement board came
> back. The new bios reports "V4.0 rel 6" and also "Phoenix 4.01".
>
> I saw this change from previous versions and decided to try our Tbirds in it
> that we had tried before under previous BIOS versions (and I cant remember the
> version #s from before and I cant reboot any nodes to find out :)
>
> Well something has changed because it warns that the processors are non
> MP and so it will operate uniprocessor as SMP is unsupported with non MPs.
> Cant flash back to a previous bios version either. So Tyan musta struck some
> deal with AMD on this. :) Im wondering why they bothered, really, since
> Tbirds are almost out of production anyway.

Tyan's products page reports that there are two versions of the S2466.
The new ones are the S2466N-4M.  The main difference listed is that the
4Ms have functional onboard USB (v1.1), whereas the original S2466Ns
were shipping with those addon 4port PCI USB cards.  That's why there are
now two BIOSes for the S2466, and they warn that flashing one type of
board with the BIOS for the other is Bad.

They must have taken the opportunity in fixing the USB problem to also
"fix" the non-SMP chip in SMP config "problem".

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering