Tyan Tiger 2460

Velocet math at velocet.ca
Thu Apr 25 09:18:04 PDT 2002

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 03:19:01AM -0400, Robert G. Brown's all...
> Dear List,
>
> We've had problems (as have others on this list) getting our 2U
> rackmount Tyan Tiger 2460 motherboards to boot/install/run reliably and
> stably.  Seth (our systems guy) and I worked on a couple of the boxes
> today armed with a 32 bit riser, a 64 bit riser, and an ATI rage video
> card and a 3c905m NIC.

re Tigers....

We got back a 2466 from RMA that was somehow fried. New replacement board came
back. The new bios reports "V4.0 rel 6" and also "Phoenix 4.01".

I saw this change from previous versions and decided to try our Tbirds in it
that we had tried before under previous BIOS versions (and I cant remember the
version #s from before and I cant reboot any nodes to find out :)

Well something has changed because it warns that the processors are non
MP and so it will operate uniprocessor as SMP is unsupported with non MPs.
Cant flash back to a previous bios version either. So Tyan musta struck some
deal with AMD on this. :) Im wondering why they bothered, really, since
Tbirds are almost out of production anyway.

We still have a few test boards running happily with dual Tbird 1.33Ghz
on both 2460s and 2466s, I assume on the older bios.

No major problems with either type of board, except those wierd Addtron
GBE cards which y'all should stay away from. :)

/kc

Ken Chase, math at velocet.ca  *  Velocet Communications Inc.  *  Toronto, CANADA