custom hardware (was: Xbox clusters?)

J Harrop jharrop at shaw.ca
Thu Nov 29 11:20:58 PST 2001

We have had similar problems over the years, some of which we tracked down
to poor grounding conditions in the building wiring.  I know one location
where the weather (in particular rain) can affect the behavior of some of
the system.  I expect the grounding problem would create problems with
similar symptoms on the newer power supplies - but I cant give a detailed
explanation such as the excellent one posted.  I seem to recall that we
also had this problem with the older power supplies.  Solution was the same
- unplug, wait, reboot.

My favorite hardware problem was when I was working down in Honduras.  One
of the laptops became more and more flaky and finally quit booting at
all.  When I swapped out the CD-ROM module to try and boot from a floppy I
found a stray ant sitting on the inside edge of the connector!  On further
inspection the inside of the laptop turned out to be packed with them.  I
wanted to duct-tape the machine closed and mail the box back to Dell with a
"bug report" taped on it ;-)

John Harrop