Xbox clusters?

Josip Loncaric josip at icase.edu
Wed Nov 28 13:23:32 PST 2001

"Robert G. Brown" wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Josip Loncaric wrote:
>
> > has anyone discussed making an Xbox cluster?
>
> I doubt it is worth it even for $250/node.  Perhaps $200.

You may be right.  A cluster node does not need the Xbox-style fancy
graphics, DVD drive, nor (sometimes) the hard drive, but it would need
more memory and more software flexibility.  However, the appeal of
buying compact preconfigured CPU+RAM+NIC building blocks remains...

BTW, the big monopolist selling the Xbox is supposedly losing $100 per
unit, which they won't recover from people who play "Linux cluster
games" instead of buying the usual crash-burn-maim commercial fare.
Linux-on-Xbox idea is unlikely to get any help, even though Sony's
Linux-on-PS2 was tried in Japan.

Sincerely,
Josip

--
Dr. Josip Loncaric, Research Fellow               mailto:josip at icase.edu
ICASE, Mail Stop 132C           PGP key at http://www.icase.edu./~josip/
NASA Langley Research Center             mailto:j.loncaric at larc.nasa.gov
Hampton, VA 23681-2199, USA    Tel. +1 757 864-2192  Fax +1 757 864-6134