Gigabit Ethernet switches and network adaptors.

Steve Gaudet SGaudet at turbotekcomputer.com
Tue Nov 20 08:06:29 PST 2001

Hello,

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 10:00:46AM -0500, Steve Gaudet's all...
> > Here's some of the network GIG E hardware we'd like to recommend:
> >
> >   AceNIC/NetGear GA620(T)/3C985B
> >   SysKonnect
> >   NS chipset:
> >      Cameo           SOHO-GA2000T    SOHO-GA2500T
> >      D-Link          DGE-500T
> >      PureData        PDP8023Z-TG
> >      SMC             SMC9462TX
> >      NetGear         GA622
>

> How do you find the performance of these NS82830 cards? Do they do
> block interupt xfer or whatever it is for more efficient
> xfer? How much
> system/interupt time do they chew up?

The NS based stuff is low-end and cheap - you get what you pay for - but the
drivers are rock solid and provide a good way to get started with GigE.

On a high enough powered box, you might even get decent throughput but it's
at a
cost of cycles.

The SysKonnect card I'm told, is going EOL so good news/bad news, they may
start
showing up on E-bay sometime. ;)

The most promising stuff is a broadcomm chip based 3com card (3c996) but as
of
this moment, there's no Linux driver for it.  That'll be the stuff to buy
for
next year, though.

Cheers,

Steve Gaudet
Linux Sales Engineer
  <(©¿©)>

| Turbotek Computer Corp.    tel:603-666-3062 ext. 21             |
| 8025 South Willow St.      fax:603-666-4519                     |
| Building 2, Unit 105       toll free:800-573-5393               |
| Manchester, NH 03103       e-mail:sgaudet at turbotekcomputer.com  |
|                            web: http://www.turbotekcomputer.com |