Memory on Scyld systems

Sean Dilda agrajag at scyld.com
Tue Nov 6 08:16:36 PST 2001

On Mon, 05 Nov 2001, Art Edwards wrote:

> I have a question about memory on AMD-based clusters. I am now running
> a homogeneous Scyld cluster with 768MB on each node. I have modified the
> config file with a mem= command and have had no problems. Now I am augmenting
> the cluster with new nodes that have 1.5 GB of memory on each node (single
> processor nodes). Is there a way to use a different config file for the new
> nodes?

The kernel commandline is stored in the bootfile /var/beowulf/boot.img
By default, this image is sent to all nodes, but if the file
/var/beowulf/boot.img.<nodenumber>  (ie boot.img.0) exists, it will use
that image for the given node.  You can create this image by modifying
/etc/beowulf/config.boot, then running
beoboot -2 -n -o /var/beowulf/boot.img.<nodenumber>

Once you've created one copy of the new bootfile, you should be able to
symlink or hardlink the other filenames to it so that
boot.img.<nodenumber> for all your new nodes points to it.

Just remember, whenever you change anything with your bootfiles in the
future, you're going to have to remake both files.