Cooling experts out there, some help please

alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com
Mon May 21 13:12:33 PDT 2001

hi ya..

yes...  thermal compound/grease seem to work better than
the thermal tape ...

make sure too that there s about 0.5"-1" of clear air space for the
heatsink fan...

I'd also want to see if water-cooled copper reservoirs would
be a better cooling method than huge heatsinks
We have to get all that to fit into our 1U chassis

other variable affecting cpu temperature...
	- load of the cpu...at the time of the measurements
	- copper will always be better than aluminnum
	- painting it balck seems to make some difference
	- whether the block of aluminnum/copper was
	cut or extruded to make the heatsink fins/towers
	also is very important...
	- airflow and ambient temperature also affects the cpu temp

have fun
alvin
http://www.Linux-1U.net