NFS over Myrinet for 32 node beowulf

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed May 2 03:59:07 PDT 2001

On Tue, 1 May 2001, Bill Broadley wrote:

> In comparison to Myrinet 100 mbit per client is almost free, then again
> we plan to get Myrinet anyways.

But that means sharing of Myrinet between MPI/PVM and NFS. If one of them
is of low volume, things might work out well, otherwise it might be better
getting an extra FE NIC.

> As a practical data point it's easier to buy pre-fab fileservers for
> Gigabit then it is for Myrinet, not that I can't build it myself from
> parts.

AFAIK, the new Myrinet switches allow connecting some other types of media
to them (like Gigabit Ethernet), given proper modules inserted.

Sincerely,

Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868