NFS over Myrinet for 32 node beowulf

Bill Broadley bill at math.ucdavis.edu
Tue May 1 01:21:36 PDT 2001

I'm looking at building a 32 node beowulf, and currently favoring the
Myrinet solution for MPI traffic.  Our codes don't scale well over a 100
mbit switch but do scale well on other machines with faster interconnects
(T3e's and Origin 2000's to name 2).

Originally we planned on the 1.2 Gbit flavor of Myrinet but in the mean
time the 2.0 Gbit myrinet flavor has become available (at similar prices).

Anyone with practical experience with running NFS over Myrinet instead
of running a gigabit to fileserver (or 2) and 100 mbit switched ports to
the clients?  Any idea on price/performance?  In comparison to Myrinet 100
mbit per client is almost free, then again we plan to get Myrinet anyways.

As a practical data point it's easier to buy pre-fab fileservers for
Gigabit then it is for Myrinet, not that I can't build it myself from
parts.

Of course any Dolphinics data points are appreciated as well.

Please follow up to the list by default, although I'll of course
read and respond to any personal emails.

--
Bill Broadley
Mathematics/Institute of Theoretical Dyanmics