changing IP with scyld

Daniel Ridge newt at scyld.com
Thu Mar 15 05:42:49 PST 2001

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Johannes [ISO-8859-1] Gröhn wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm working on a small cluster running Scyld.  Recently I changed the IP
> addresses range of the nodes and also the ip of the master in
> /etc/beowulf/config.  After rebooting, the nodes appear to be Up but
> Unavailable in BeoStatus.  At this point I can run mpi_mandel as root.
> However, if I make the nodes available with BeoSetup, I can no longer run
> any mpi programs.

What version of Scyld are you using? In the preview release, nodes that
had a boot error would show up as 'unavailable'. In the current release,
nodes that had a boot error would show up as 'error'.

There is a per-node boot log that often contains the answer to 'why'
questions. These files live in /var/log/beowulf/node.<num> and can also
be viewed directly through 'beosetup' if you are using the 27BZ-7 or later
version of Scyld Beowulf.

Nodes are always available through BProc during the unavailable and error
phases -- we use the BProc mechanism for configuring a node at boot time.
However, the slave filesystem may be in a transitioning state that
prevents applications from running except as root.

Regards,
	Dan Ridge
	Scyld Computing Corporation