pci network cards

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Mon Jul 9 11:42:51 PDT 2001

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, niall moran wrote:

> i have a scyld installed and working between two pcs.
> i have an old compaq proliant (3 x pentium 100 etc).
> there are no pci slots in it and there is a de435 network card in it.
> when i try to boot it using a node floppy i get errors about not having
> any pci interface.
>
> must network cards be pci to work?

Correct, we only support PCI-connected network cards.
This includes CardBus and most on-motherboard adapters.

There are technical reasons behind this, but the practical reason is
that non-PCI adapters are old and slow.  (Exception: USB is merely slow ;-)

My list has the de435 as a 21040 PCI card.
Is it actually an EISA or ISA card?

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993