[Fwd: IP: Fact Sheet on Export Controls on High Performance Computers]

Joseph A Del corso j.a.delcorso at larc.nasa.gov
Thu Jan 11 12:58:05 PST 2001

I know this may be way off base, but I figure I might as well
throw the idea out there. (Perhaps this already exsists and I'm
simply un-aware of it)
In light of what I just read, I'm curious if it wouldn't benefit
the open source community to form some kind of regulatory committee
to (and I shudder at the thought of what I'm about to say) control
the software being put out.  I realize that open source is a wonderful
idea, but who takes the blame for the mis-use of software?
While I don't have any examples to prove the point, I think the idea
of "we just built the atom bomb, whatever people do with it is out
of our hands" is kind of bogus.  A "hands off" approach to responsibility
for software produced is wrong.
My personal opinion, specifically for the open source community, is
to take responsibility for regulating itself.  I realize this goes
against the "open source" concept...

I dunno...

Just an idea...

~~joe