WinNT/Linux hybrids?

Cameron Harr charr at lnxi.com
Mon Feb 26 13:09:13 PST 2001

What Jag has said is very true. You need to be able to compile code on
that front end and Visual C++ or whatever tool you use doesn't
necessarily create code compatible with gcc/g++. For Office docs, just
copy the files to a NT box or something to do that mundane work, that is
not what a front end is for.

Jag wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Jim Lux wrote:
>
> > What would be the possibility of building a cluster using WinNT workstation
> > (or NT server) on the head/worldly node and Linux on the (diskless) cluster
> > nodes.  You'd use one of the many NT ssh or Xwindows servers to talk to the
> > nodes.  Is it possible to netboot Linux from a NT server (what has to be
> > running on NT to make this work)?
>
> Hmm.. that's kinda impractical.  If you want to use something like MPI,
> you need a binary that will run on all the slave nodes AND the head
> node, and I don't see that happening with an NT/Linux combo.  I'm sure
> that just about all of the beowulf solutions for getting processes to
> communicate will have problems when NT is thrown into the mix.
>

> > Why would one want to do this?  There is a huge installed base for
> > powerpoint, excel and word, and eventually you have to get your  results
> > into that form.  Also, you could start your cluster grinding on a lengthy
> > task, effectively in the background, and continue using all the
> > "institutionally supported" software (i.e. Office, Outlook, Project, etc.)
> > in the foreground.
>
> Ok, I think you're going in the wrong direction here.  A beowulf cluster
> isn't meant to run things like office/outlook/etc.  What you want to do
> is give the person an NT workstation that they can run those programs
> on, then also give them a /seperate/ beowulf cluster.  They can then use
> the ssh/etc tools you mentioned earlier for NT to communicate with the
> head node.
>
> A beowulf cluster is designed to be a compute powerhouse, and that NT
> workstation is intended to do user interaction.  When you try to
> combine those two, it takes away the effectiveness from both ends.
>
> Jag

Cameron Harr
Applications Engineer
Linux NetworX Inc.