Cool it off

Mike Davis mdavis at 3drevolution.net
Fri Nov 17 02:59:01 PST 2000

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Laurent Itti wrote:
> Hi Tim:
>
> one thing that worked for us was to put large extra fans in each box; one
> 12cm 100cfm fan is mounted in each box using two 5.25 to 3.5 adapters (a
> piece of plastic used to mount a 3.5 floppy drive in a 5.25 bay; we have
> one mounted normally at the bottom, and another mounted upside down at the
> top, with a 12cm fan sandwiched in between; the whole thing using 3 5.25
> bays) and pushes air in; in the back, we have the power supply pulling out
> on one side, and just open slots on the other side.  With that, we have
> 25C in the case and 29C at the CPU.

Ok, I haven't got the largest Beowulf in the world, but I found the best thing
was an external 'fan heater', with a splitter box I made and some flexible air
hose (4 inch diameter). The hose went into two of the drive bays and was
sufficient to cool 4 machine's CPUs to 25C-30C.

A bit of a homemade solution, but heater fans have really high air flow rates.

Mike