Stability of network cards at 75MHz+

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon May 15 20:16:33 PDT 2000

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Chris Empson wrote:

> > I am going to be involved in purchasing some additional nodes for our
> > Beowulf, and was wondering if people had any wisdom about the stability of
> > network cards running at non-standard FSB (and PCI) speeds.  The ability to
> > overclock the Celeron is well documented, but I haven't seen much on how the
> > PCI cards are affected.
> >
> > The hardware is going to be the Abit BP6 boards, and the 3c905B NICs.  No
> > hard drives, which I hear are the biggest problems...
>
> I have been running my Abit BP6 mobo @ 75MHz FSB since January with no
> ill affects to the stability of any component, including my el cheapo PCI
> NE2000 clone network card.
>
> The machine is very stable, but does get a little bit on the warm side
> now and again!

A further warning to add to Doug's:  If you have any interest in running
the BP6 nodes with UDMA enabled, you CANNOT overclock.  I believe that
Mark Hahn noted that in a comment just yesterday or the day before.  You
will completely screw up critical timing if you do.

I personally run my BP6's at their nice, pedestrian spec speed and they
are very nice and reliable.

    rgb