Stability of network cards at 75MHz+

Douglas Eadline deadline at plogic.com
Mon May 15 17:45:40 PDT 2000

On Mon, 15 May 2000, Alex Harford wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am going to be involved in purchasing some additional nodes for our
> Beowulf, and was wondering if people had any wisdom about the stability of
> network cards running at non-standard FSB (and PCI) speeds.  The ability to
> overclock the Celeron is well documented, but I haven't seen much on how the
> PCI cards are affected.

We have been down this road before. Virtually all people
who do production work with beowulfs are not interested in
OC'ing issues. Furthermore, when you use something out of spec,
there is no way to know if "your out of spec behavior" is the
same as "my out of spec behavior" and therefore it makes no sense
discussing these issues in a forum where stability and reproducibility
are important. I am sure there are other
mailing lists that deal specifically with these issues.

Doug

> The hardware is going to be the Abit BP6 boards, and the 3c905B NICs.  No
> hard drives, which I hear are the biggest problems...
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Paralogic, Inc.           |     PEAK     |      Voice:+610.861.6960
115 Research Drive        |   PARALLEL   |        Fax:+610.861.8247
Bethlehem, PA 18017 USA   |  PERFORMANCE |    http://www.plogic.com