new SGI Origin & Onyx 3k?

Morton, Scott Morton at hess.com
Wed Jul 26 16:14:13 PDT 2000

Wes Bauske wrote:
>Note the "Like to have". Also, you don't address the first
>question so I'll assume you agree people don't do that unless
>it's for benchmarks from your statement.

>Benchmarks at that scale are for bragging rights. Similar to
>IBM's news releases on ASCI White. Amusing but it doesn't
>relate to production runs.

At Amerada Hess (a medium-sized oil company), we have a mildly hetrogeneous
beowulf with over 350 cpus, and I develop seismic imaging codes which I run
routinely on over 300 cpus.  These _aren't_ benchmarks.

While we aren't at 1000 cpus (yet), we're clearly well above the 4-128 cpu
range.

Scott Morton