[vortex] RE: [eepro100] True on TRANSMIT ERROR TIMEOUT

Scott McDermott mcdermot@questra.com
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:32:56 -0400

Mark Cox on Tue 13/06 12:52 -0700:
> machines with these SAME DAMN PROBLEMS all along. This is infuriating.
> Is it Intel's fault? Is it Becker's fault? I really do not care.

It is nobody's `fault.'  You are lucky someone writes a driver for you.
Why don't you try to write one yourself and then people can tell you
it's your fault their servers aren't working.  How much money did you
pay for your driver, BTW? Maybe you should use Windows, I hear their
eepro drivers work fine.

> I just want the drivers to recover from whatever PCI bus or other
> issue they have. Is there not a (beta or otherwise) successfully
> recovering driver out there? Has anyone found a better fix than a
> 'duct tape' hang check that reloads the module?

We use 3C905Bs under heavy load without any problems whatever, and
near-infinite uptimes.  Not once have I had to re-insert a NIC driver
module.