3c905B using RH5.1 w/ kernel 2.0.35

Karl R. Asseily karl@binarycompass.com
Wed Oct 14 14:23:28 1998

Hello,

I own a 3com 3c905B w/ RH5.1 and kernel 2.0.35 with the latest Vortex driver
0.99E from Donald Becker.
I compiled 3c59x as a module, and used a file in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules to
change options to the card at bootup.
I ultimately want the card to be at 100Base-TX and Full Duplex.
so in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules, I use the following:

insmod /lib/modules/2.0.35/net/3c59x.o debug=1 full_duplex=1 options=20

when I look at /var/log/messages, I see "Media override to transmitter type
4", which indeed is 100Base-TX.
When I take a look at my Intel 510T Switch, I see that the port is indeed
100Base-TX but only HALF Duplex.
When I use the little program vortexdiag with flag -a, it tells me that the
MAC setting is Full Duplex.

In the insmod command above, I tried options=4, options=12, but to no avail.
The only way I got Full Duplex 100Base-TX is when I set the setting to MII,
but I couldn't see the network with MII.

Is there any way I can use Full Duplex with this card?

Please answer ASAP. Thanks!!!

Karl

Karl R. Asseily
Network Manager