[tulip] AT-2800TX, I give up

Gert Doering gert@greenie.muc.de
Wed Feb 20 13:49:01 2002

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 01:33:35PM -0500, Donald Becker wrote:
> > I just checked - there doesn't seem to be any screws or anything
> > "obvious" to open the card case - is there an "established" trick to
> > open PCMCIA cards without damaging them?  Or is this usually impossible?
>
> A few cases snap together, but most are bent into place or tack welded
> along the sides.  A Dremel tool is used if you are serious.

Hrm... this card is brand new so I do not want to do anything irreversible.

So it seems like "open the case" is out of the question.  But I'll give it
a very close look tonight to see whether it can be bent open with out
actually destroying the case.

> > > If the reset sequence is correct, bit 0x00080000 of CSR15 is a
> > > general purpose input.  It normally is Input Link Status for "OnNow"
> > > support.
> >
> > The fact that the LED for link doesn't light sounds to me as if this
> > whole part of the card isn't active... so it might not know whether
> > a link is there or not.
>
> There must be some magic to power the transceiver.

Yep.

Would it make sense to boot Win98, activate the card, boot back to Linux
(without powering down anything) and then run "tulip-diag -af"?  Or would
that destroy the settings anyway?

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de